Nowadays the food industry has the objective of increasing the quantity and quality of food produced. Being produced under controlled conditions, a lot of attention is paid to food safety and food security.
The right to food is a human right established in the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) which recognises “the right to an adequate standard of living, including adequate food” and “the fundamental right to be free from hunger”.
Vezë Sharri and Lecker produce specific food products: eggs and cured meat products. Read the following text on how this type of food should be kept.
Cured meat products
Cured meat products are all meat products that have been subject to a process of preservation by salting, drying, brining and smoking. Since meat is perishable food, long ago people started to preserve it for later use. By preserving meat, people prevent the growth of bacteria in meat, which means that they are able to produce cured meat products specific for the significant reduction of moisture content and a distinguishing flavour of ageing and colour.
For achieving a superb quality of the meat and meat products, proper cooling is very important. Since meat is poor conductor of heat, it also cools very slowly. The temperature in the cooling facility should be between -10°C and 0°C, and the process of cooling should last between 18 and 24 hours. During this time, the meat will cool to around +4°C and afterwards it can be frozen, salted, brined or smoked. By cooling, the meat keeps its natural appearance, taste, flavour and nutritional values.
In households, meat is usually kept
frozen at temperature between -15 and -20 °C and for a short period of time. Meat
and meat products are kept in the lower section of the refrigerator, because
the temperature is lower there.
Eggs are a valuable nutritive product which contains ingredients that are irreplaceable in the diet. Main components of the egg are: proteins, fats, essential fatty acids, lecithin, cholesterol, minerals and vitamins.
Around 90% of the egg white is water and the remaining 10% is made up of approximately 40 different types of proteins. The most prominent proteins are albumin, transferrin, lysozyme and ovomucin. The ovomucin is responsible for the allergic actions in the human body, whereas the transferrin is responsible for transport of iron through the blood.
Before you buy eggs, in general, while you are still in the store, check if the eggs are dirty or cracked. After you make sure that the eggs are not dirty or cracked, keep them stored at your home in the same egg carton in which they were when you bought them so that you can protect the shell. Instead of keeping them in the fridge door, place them on one of the fridge shelves because the temperature there is lower.
The shelf life of eggs kept in fridge is around 30 days, whereas at room temperature, it is not more than 12 days. The eggs that you plan to keep for a longer period must not be washed. It is enough that you wipe them with a dry towel. In a nutshell, storage period depends on temperature, that is to say, eggs are better kept at low temperature: if they are kept in a warehouse up to 6 months, it is recommended that the temperature should be between +1°C and +4°C or even 0°C, and according to some authors, it should be -2°C.
Storing eggs for shorter periods of time
Eggs should be kept in dry ventilated premises (cellars, dark and cold repositories), on shelves with egg trays. It is recommended that eggs should be turned upside down every day. Or they could be kept in wheat (or best in millet).
The intake of minerals and vitamins from the egg does not reduce, although the egg has been subject to heat processing.
The colour of the egg is in no way related to quality or taste.